HDO Project – Empower Children: Community Solidarity for Child and Women Rights in Plantation Sector
Supported by UNOPS
The main issue will be addressed in this action is “Child Rights in the Plantation Sector”. This action will also address the issues related to violence against children and women and response to negative coping mechanisms in the plantation sector of Sri Lanka, through capacity building of community organizations. The project will be intervening in following prioritized areas in the context of current economic crisis of Sri Lanka through the promotion and protection of child rights, women empowerment and institutional building.
The activities proposed will be representing in the action to tackle the issues related to systemic discrimination and violations of basic rights, violence against children and women, increasing child labor & trafficking, addiction to illicit alcohol & drugs, increasing undocumented migration etc.
The Project will focus on:
· Create awareness about GBV and child rights, laws related child protection, self-protection guideness for children in Nuwara Eliya and Kandy Districts.
· Conduct social media campaign on GBV, women rights and violence against children
· Awareness and education on the use of narcotics and illicit alcohol
· Interventions in response to rising illegal international migration patterns
· Capacity/Leadership Training Programs for key community leaders
· Building Support to community based protection mechanisms
· Organizational Capacity Building Training to Children & Women Groups
· Strengthening Organizational structure and leadership